Growing up in the 1980s, my little girl cousins and friends and I had habits that would horrify me if my own kids had them.
- Walking on tiptoes because grown up women always wore high heels to be sexy.
- Playing with candy cigarettes so we could smoke like the grown ups.
- Talking to strange men who thought we were pretty because our moms told us not to be rude.
- Reading in teen magazines that we should pretend to be dumb because boys don’t like girls smarter than they are.
- Mimicking commercials where women talk about having not so fresh feelings.
- Breathing lots of Aqua Net to get the proper loft for 3rd Grade picture day hair.
- Having to play the sexy but basically useless female sidekick when we played Buck Rogers.
- Wearing pantyhose with shorts to be sexy.
- Aspiring to wear a leather bustier and singing, “Like a Virgin” at slumber parties.
- Not knowing anything about female anatomy so that we were terrified when we heard that girls start bleeding from down there.
- Judging each other based on where we shopped for clothes.
How about you? What did you grow up with that you’re glad isn’t part of your life anymore?